by Mark Albert
WASHINGTON (TVR) – Travel to Las Vegas has “collapsed” after the mass shooting at an outdoor country music concert last month, with both domestic and international flight bookings decreasing sharply, according to a new analysis.
ForwardKeys, a firm that provides travel forecasts by analyzing 17 million transactions a day, says in the three weeks following the October 1 shooting that killed 58 people and wounded nearly 500, domestic reservations to Las Vegas plunged 21% from the same period in 2016.
International bookings slid 16% compared to the year prior.
“Looking at the current situation,” said Olivier Jager, ForwardKeys CEO, “one can only feel sympathy. What has happened to the victims of the shooting is absolutely shocking and tragic.”
“Nevertheless, whilst reservations for the coming six months have fallen back; it is not a certainty that the market will stay down. If the US economy picks up, if there are no more similar incidents and if there is a brilliant promotional campaign by Las Vegas, it is possible that the situation can be turned around,” Jager said.